- 2 large and long eggplants
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1/2 tsp lemon thyme leaves, plus a few whole sprigs to garnish
- Maldon sea salt and black pepper
- 1 pomegranate
- 1 tsp za’atar
- 9 tbsp buttermilk
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 1/2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 small garlic clove
- Pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 180°F.
- Cut the eggplants in half lengthways. Brush them with olive oil
- Sprinkle with the lemon thyme leaves and some salt and pepper.
- Roast for 35 to 40 minutes.
- While the eggplants are in the oven, cut the pomegranate into two horizontally.
- Use wooden spoon or a rolling pin to gently knock on the pomegranate skin.
- Remove any bits of white skin or membrane.
- To make the sauce. Whisk together all of the ingredients. Taste for seasoning, then keep cold until needed.
- To serve, spoon plenty of buttermilk sauce over the eggplant halves without covering the stalks.
- Sprinkle za’atar and plenty of pomegranate seeds on top and garnish with lemon thyme.
- Finish with a drizzle of olive oil.